Davidson (NC) Post Office Collection
Scope and Contents
The records consist primarily of letters of appointment and resignation for carriers and postmasters. There are also lease records for post office buildings, lists of furnishing and supplies and some financial records.
- Existence: Majority of material found within 1917 - 1956
Biographical / Historical
The Davidson Post Office was first established on July 19, 1837 when the town was still known as Davidson College. It was discontinued on December 6, 1866 and reestablished July 10, 1867. The name changed to Davidson on May 7, 1891. Over the years the post office has been in several locations, moving up and down Main Street and for a time was housed in the Maxwell Chambers Hotel building on Depot Street. The Post Office served both the town and the college until 2001, when the college established a separate post office on campus.
.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to college archives by Davidson PO employee Tim Honeycutt 99-084
Processed on Nov-01
- Davidson (NC) Post Office Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Manuscript Collections Repository