Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two letters written by Munroe. The first written in 1869 while Munroe was a student describes Davidson College and the faculty. There is also a typescript of the letter. The second letter was written in 1917 to Miss Cornelia Shaw and gives his memories of college life.
Dates: 1869 - 1917
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a letter written to Cornelia Shaw describing Burwell's memories of Davidson College faculty and students.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a letter written to Miss Cornelia Shaw, librarian of Davidson College. The letter gives some family history and describes college life and the faculty in the 1860s. For the typescript of "The Chambers Family of Iredell County" by Henry Chambers, see the Farmville file in Chalmer Davidson's Plantation files (DC058).
Scope and Contents The collection consists of manuscript copies of 4 letters and photocopies of 22 letters written by Fries (1874-1876) and speeches given to the Philanthropic Society as vice-president and president in 1877. The letters discuss college life and Davidson faculty. The location of the original letters for the photocopies in unknown.
Dates: 1874 - 1877
Scope and Contents The collection contains correspondence, literary materials, biographical information, and restricted information. The correspondence includes letters from family and aquaintances from 1936-1966, letters from students, 1956-1973, letters of condolence following Lilly's death in 1973, and letters he wrote to Mrs. Lilly, 1948-1965. There is also considerable correspondence between Lilly and Harriet Doar, Charlotte Observer Book Editor, 1962-1969 and with former student John McKnight, 1973-1974...
Dates: 1922 - 1995
Scope and Contents The collection consists of Correspondence, 1930-1968, Literary materials 1834-1937, Humanities, 1962-1975, Printed Materials, 1920-1977. The correspondence is primarily from Davidson College president Walter Lingle about McGeachy's appointment to the college faculty. There is also a postcard to McGeachy from fellow professor Charles Eberhart The literary materials include McGeachy's valedictory address and papers written in graduate school. The Humanities materials include annotated syllabi,...
Dates: Existence: Majority of material found within 1920 - 1977
Scope and Contents The collection consists of correspondence with Cornelia Shaw (1917-1920) and a 32 page memoir, "Reminiscences of Davidson College, 1862-1870."
Dates: 1917 - 1920
Scope and Contents The collection consists of correspondence with Dr. George B. Watts on courses taught at Davidson (1926) and with L.M. Hoffman on college development (1916).
Dates: 1916 - 1926
Scope and Contents The collection consists of legal and financial materials, notebooks, and printed material. The legal and financial materials include a reference letter, contracts for mineral rights, and receipts. The notebooks are Grey's grade books for his Latin classes. The printed material is a copy of Grey's dissertation, "The Treatment of Philosophy and Philosophers by the Greek Comic Poets."
Dates: 1896 - 1917
Scope and Contents The collection contains twelve notebooks of class notes from both Davidson and Johns Hopkins, subjects including: Greek Literature, Cicero, Greek Syntax, Greek Philosophy, History of Philosophy, and Latin. A thirteenth notebook appears to have been written during his time in Alabama, as the only date mentioned in it is 1910.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1875 - 1910
- Davidson College - History 2
- Civil War 1
- Davidson College - Boarding Houses 1
- Davidson College - Curriculum 1
- Davidson College - Humanities Program 1
- Davidson College - Philanthropic Society 1
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo 1
- Lilly, Henry Tracy (1918), 1897-1973 1
- Lilly, Mrs. Henry Tracy, 1912-1995 1
- Lingle, Walter Lee, 1868-1956 (1892) 1
- McGeachy, D.P. III (1951) 1
- McKnight, John (1928) 1
- Milton, John 1
- Sandifier, Myron G. Jr. (1943) 1
- Simmons, Frank 1
- Soviet Union 1
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American - 19th century 1
- Workman, William G. (1962) 1 ∧ less
- Burwell, Dandridge Spottswood, 1847-1929 (1865) 1
- Chambers, Henry Alexander, 1841- (1864) 1
- Doar, Harriet 1
- Fleming, William Scott (Class of 1878) 1
- Fries, Henry Elias, 1857-1949. (Class of 1878) 1
- Grey, William Richard, 1858-1944 (1884) 1
- Hoffman, Laban Miles, 1846- (1869) 1
- Lilly, Henry Tracy, 1897-1973. (Class of 1918) 1
- Lingle, Thomas Wilson, 1871- (1893) 1
- McGeachy, John Alexander, 1911-1992. (Class of 1934) 1
- Munroe, Colin Alexander, 1844-1919 (1872) 1
- Shaw, Cornelia Rebekah 1 ∧ less