Music Department. Records, bulk: 1897 - 2018
Scope and Contents
Both the Adminstrative and Program records of the Music Department are arranged chronologically. The Administrative records are divided into subject groupings within each academic year. The majority of the records concern the tours of the Male Chorus and Concert Band but there is also information on the Women's Chorus, Chapel Choir, Instrumental Ensembles, and Football and ROTC Bands. There are also files on special programs such as the Sacred Music Convocation, Music Festivals, and the dedication of the Cunningham Fine Arts Building. Later files on the Cunningham Fine Arts Building document regulations and use of the building. The Administrative records also include correspondence with college officials and individual music faculty members. There are also samples of examinations. The Program files include student musical activities predating the founding of the music department. The files primarily contain copies of flyers and programs for events conducted or sponsored by the Music Department. There are separate groupings for Vespers, the Intercollegiate Chamber Music Guild, Faculty Recitals and the Organ Recital Series. The remaining program files document musical events by academic year. The Male Chorus Tour books contain entries with nominations for humorous awards and reflect both the humor and stresses of tours. Oversize items include posters for performances and sheet music. The Realia consists of two trophies awarded to bands. There are also records of the Male Chorus and performances of the works of Wilmer Hayden Welsh and a film of a performance of Wilmer Hayden Welsh's Faith and the Sewing Circle""
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1897 - 2018
- Music Department (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
Music officially became part of the Davidson College curriculum in 1927 when Ernest J. Cullum was elected Director of Music and Associate Professor of the History and Appreciation of Fine Arts. Students had organized music clubs as early as 1868, but the only music instruction available was through private tutoring. Professor Cullum taught courses in the history of music and art appreciation for four years. In 1931 the Trustees voted to suspend the courses due to low enrollment. In 1933 James Christian Pfohl came to Davidson as music director and reorganized the student band, glee club, and orchestra. By 1935, there were five music instructors and the college was granting academic credit for some music courses. The department continued to grow and during the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s the Male Chorus and Concert Bands toured across the United States. In 1961 the music faculty moved into the newly constructed Cunningham Fine Arts Building.
18.00 boxes_oversize (18 boxes + oversize)
The records are organized into two main sections: Administrative and Programs. The Music Department records also contain Realia and Audio-visual materials.
Range C Section 2
D-Room Case 10 Musical Organizations - Rosters, 1935-1936
Musical Organizations, 1936-1937
Musical Organizations, 1937-1938
Music School Camp, 1938-1939
Musical Organizations, 1938
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from Music Department (96-083)|2007-93