Psychology. Records, 1971-, 1971
Scope and Contents
The files primarily document the activities of the department under the chairmanship of Edward Palmer. Included are interdepartmental correspondence, correspondence from former students, committee and project reports, grant reports, and reports of outside examiners. In particular, there are files on the Broughton Hospital summer program, the Workman Award, Project Match, the Davidson Cornelius Day Care Center project, and space planning assessments for the Life Sciences building. Information on the needs of the Psychology department in the Life Sciences Building are found in the folder marked "Project Kaleidoscope (PKAL)." The Self-Study files contain department specific information for Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology. The Departmental Advance files contain information about annual departmental plans and reviews. The Departmental Memo folders document the activities of the department and include department meeting minutes. The majority of the memos were sent within the department with some correspondence to other offices and departments. They are organized by calendar rather than academic year. There are some personnel matters addressed in the memos. The folders are restricted and require permission to use. Maps of the Life Sciences Building are located in Map Stand A. Drawer 11 contains a map by Jenkins-Peer Architects of the Baker-Watt Science Complex (casework details; fume hoods and schedules; enlarged basement, 1st, 2nd, 3rd floor plans). Drawer 12 contains a Jenkins-Peer Architects map of the Davidson College Dana Science Building Addition (dated May 5, 1995). Drawer 13 contains map of the Dana Science Building Additions. Drawer 14 contains a map of the Watson Life Science Building (dated October 22, 1996). Drawer 15 contains a map of the Watson Life Science Building (dated January 31, 1997). Drawer 16 contains a map of the Life Science Building (dated July 11, 1996). Drawer 17 contains a map of the Dana Science Building Additions and Renovations (dated April 8, 1996). Drawer 18 contains a map of the Watson Life Science Building (dated November 6, 1996). Drawer 19 contains a map of the Watson Life Sciences Building (dated October 1996). Drawer 20 contains a Jenkins-Peer Architects map of the Dana Science Buildings Renovations and Additions (dated June 2, 1995) (topographical survey; site plan; basement, level 1, 2 and 3 plans; roof plan; foundation plan; framing plan; plumbing and mechanical; electrical plan).
- Psychology (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The Departmental Memo folders are restricted and require permission to use.
Biographical / Historical
The first listing of psychology as a course of study at Davidson College occurred in the 1910-1911 catalog. Professor Sentelle taught the courses for both philosophy and psychology. Prior to 1910, psychology was incorporated in the mental philosophy courses. In 1920, Dr. Fraizer Hood was appointed as the first professor of psychology and the courses were listed separately from philosophy. In 1934, psychology joined with education, sharing course listings and faculty. The department became an independent unit again in 1948 and in 1949 a second faculty position was added. The first woman faculty member at Davidson was hired in the psychology department in 1956. By the 1990s the department has grown to 9 faculty.
5.00 boxes_oversize (5 boxes + oversize)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from department|2007-114|2011-048