Art Department. Records, bulk: 1967 - 2022
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of information about the Davidson Drawing and Print Competition, postcards and invitations to various exhibitions, the combined catalogue for Herb Jackson, Russ Warren and Cort Savage, a brochure from 1986 on why students should study art at Davidson, and examples of note cards produced with images from faculty and student work. The Drawing Competition folders contain programs from the competitions, correspondence related to fundraising and the shipping of art, and letters from Herb Jackson used to generate interest. The oversized materials are publicity posters from the contest.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1967 - 2022
Biographical / Historical
The Art Department had its first full-time professor in 1953 when Douglas Houchens was elected to the faculty, replacing Visiting Lecturer Phillip Moose. However, it was not until 1971 that the Board of Trustees approved a major in art. By that time the art department faculty had grown to include Herb Jackson and Larry Ligo. In that same year, the Davidson National Print and Drawing Competition was carrying Davidson's name into the national art circles. The art department moved out of its home in the Cunnimgham Fine Arts Building in 1993 with the Completion of the Visual Arts Center.
8.00 boxes_oversize (8 boxes + oversize)
This collection is arranged chronologically with a separate box for the National Print and Drawing Competition materials and pedagogical materials regarding teaching Art History with slides.
Range C Sections 1-2
Immediate Source of Acquisition