Skip to main content

Biology Department. Administrative Records, bulk: 1971 - 2016

Identifier: RG03-05-03

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of a press release and brochures about the Wood's Hole Biology Term, the 1977 edition of the Edible Wild Plants Recipe Book, copies of departmental brochures, a copy of the agreement to Register and Protect and Natural Area (Rocky River Morgan's Bluff, minutes and memos of the Animal Care and Use Committee, and correspondence related to departmental activities and curriculum. Additional materials on the Biology Department and COSEN are in boxes 2 and 3.


  • Creation: Majority of material found within 1971 - 2016


Biographical / Historical

The first reference to biology at Davidson occurred in 1892 when the College Trustees considered a proposal for a Professorship of Physiology and Hygiene. A second proposal was made in 1902 to create a Chair of Biology. Four years later, the position was established and John Wilson MacConnell was hired in 1907 to teach one course in Biology along with his duties as college physician. By 1925, enrollment in Biology courses grew to 198 students and Dr. MacConnell was joined by three additional faculty. Student interest in medical careers led to continued growth both in numbers of students and faculty. The department moved in 1960 from the Chambers Building to the newly constructed Dana Science Building. In 1994, the department has 10 faculty members and three academic support staff. In 2023, the department has 16 faculty members.


3.00 boxes_oversize (3 box + oversize)