Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity. Records, 1913-1998
Scope and Contents
The collection contains historical information, which includes brief historical sketches of the fraternity and information about its recolonization. There is information about the Bachelor's Club, including a list of the original officers and information concerning its joining Phi Gamma Delta. There are copies of the constitution and bylaws. The meeting minutes date from 1924-1925, 1947-1948, 1963-1964, 1973-1979, and 1985-1988 and discuss pledges, initiation, ceremonies, election of officers, service projects, and general activities. There are field secretary reports from 1973-1991 which discuss the state of the chapter and ways to improve. The correspondence from 1927-1930 and 1962-1991, includes references to the chapter house, the state of the fraternity, and the activities of the group. Membership information includes alumni questionnaires, membership directories, pledge forms and initiation returns. The activity information includes bids and rush activities, committee minutesand notes, information about the house, Patterson Court Council minutes, and information about the fraternity's Board of Control. The financial material consists primarily of receipts from 1977. The printed material includes invitations to activities, publications such as the Wildcat Fiji (1925, 1961-1985), the Owl's Talon 1991, the Delta Kappa Notes (1992-1993), and the Headquarters Bulletin (1926), as well as general published information about the fraternity. The memorabilia includes a Bachelor's Club badge and a Phi Gamma Delta coat-of-arms. The restricted information concerns the 1985 committments to refrain from drug use while representing the fraternity. The oversize folders contain the publications Bachelor Buttons (1920-1923) and Wildcat Fiji, a membership and guest book with the Batchelor's club pledge along with signatures from 1915 to 1931 and additional signatures from the 1950s, a scrapbook from the Bachelor's Club (1922) and a scrapbook for 1948-1949..\
- Creation: 1913
- Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
one folder is restricted
Biographical / Historical
In the fall of 1913 the Bachelor's Club at Davidson College was formed. In 1921 the group began petitioning to become a chapter of Phi Gamma Delta. The charter was granted in 1923. In 1971 the self-selection policy came to Davidson, and fraternities had the option of conforming or moving off campus. Phi Gamma chose the latter, and they are the only off-campus fraternity at Davidson. In 1989 the chapter recolonized.
3.00 boxes_oversize_digital (3 boxes + oversize + digital)
The collection is organized into the following series: Historical Information; Bachelor's Club; Constitution and Bylaws; Minutes; Correspondence; Membership Information; Activities; Financial Material; Printed Material; Memorabilia; Restricted; Oversize.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
See Collections file for list of gifts from Towner A. Blackstock '94. Consult with the Archivist for citation information.|2011-045
- Language of description
- Script of description