Sigma Nu Fraternity. Records, 1957-1971
Scope and Contents
The collection contains historical information which includes historical sketches about the national organization as well as the Davidson chapter. There is information about the formation of the chapter, including copies of the petition to the national organization, letters of recommendation, and letters of congratulations. The information about the government contains copies of the constitution, by-laws, and amendments, copies of the house rules, and information about the duties of the officers and committees. There are minutes from 1957-1958 which include the minutes from the organizational meetings, as well as meetings from 1970-1971, which contain the final minutes of the chapter. There are reports of the fraternity from 1965 and undated. There is correspondence from 1957-1972. This includes general correspondence with the National Headquarters and others, and also correspondence with alumni, Davidson College, and Richard R. Fletcher, Executive Secretary. There is also correspondence which discusses the installation of the chapter and pledging the chapter, plus general newsletters. There is membership information, containing member rosters, pledge forms, personal information, the 1972 alumni directory, membership applications, statements signed by all the members, and ballots distributed to all members to decide how to invest the money received from the sale of the house furnishings in 1971. There is information about the group's activities which include alumni relations, rituals, rush information, information about the house, the mothers' club, housemother, and faculty advisor. There are financial records which contain cancelled checks, receipts, and information about the fraternity's loan. The printed material contains items published by the fraternity, including "The Snake" (1959-1965), "The Way of Honor" (1958, 1959, 1961, 1964, 1969), "The Story of Sigma Nu" (1927), "Steps Along the Way" (1964), pledge manuals, rush publications, and songbooks. The memorabilia contains stationery, the chapter's seal, and pledge pins. The restricted information is correspondence relating to the chapter's Statement of Principle, pledge violations, and grade information. The oversize material contains the alumni association's charter, part of the Delta of Sigma Nu from December, 1973, A blueprint of the house, and the chapter's membership list from 1958-1963. The artifacts are the chapter's gavel and two Bibles (King James Eds., Philadelphia: John C. Winston, 1948 and Philadelphia: A.J. Holman, n.d.).
- Sigma Nu Fraternity (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
one folder is restricted
Biographical / Historical
In 1957 the Eta Alpha colony was formed at Davidson for the sole purpose of becoming a chapter of Sigma Nu fraternity. In 1958 the charter was granted and the chapter enjoyed many years of success. In 1971, following the installation of the self-selection policy at Davidson College, the chapter's charter was revoked. The house became Etc. Eating House.
6.00 boxes_oversize_artifacts (6 boxes, plus artifacts and oversize)
Language of Materials
The collection is organized into the following series: History; Formation; Government; Minutes; Reports; Correspondence; Membership; Activities; Financial Records; Printed Material; Memorabilia; Restricted.
D-Room Case III
D-Room Case III
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Most were given to the library when the chapter closed in 1971. See Collections file for list of items donated by Dr. George Labban.
- Language of description
- Script of description