Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity. Records, 1930-
Scope and Contents
The collection contains historical information, which includes a copy of the petition to the national fraternity. There is a small amount of correspondence from 1958-1984, and there are newsletters from 1969-1991. There is a membership directory from 1971-1972. The printed material contains general information about the fraternity from various sources (1962-1993), copies of the "Sig Epigram" and "SPEctator" (1936-1976), The "Sig Epistle" (1991-1994), Social Handbooks (1973-1981), Rush Publications (1952-1959), and Invitations and Programs (1949-1997). There is also memorabilia, a certificate of initiation, from 1930. The oversize material is a hand-letter list of donors to the Sigma Phi Epsilon Building Fund in 1958.
- Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
In 1929, the Pyramid Club of Davidson College petitioned Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity for a chapter charter. The North Carolina Epsilon chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon was established in 1930. In 1972 the fraternity moved off the Davidson College campus to avoid having to comply with the self-selection requirements. The group returned to the campus in 1985.
0.50 boxes_oversize (1/2 box (12 folders) + oversize)
The collection is organized into the following series: Historical Information; Correspondence; Membership; Printed Material; Memorabilia.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Language of description
- Script of description