Skip to main content

Counseling Center and Student Health Services. Records,1988-

Identifier: RG06-07

Scope and Contents

The Faculty and Alumni folder contains photographs used for campus AIDS exhibits. Included are photographs of the AIDS Project NAMES Quilt displays at Davidson College and Washington, D.C. as well as photographs of Davidson faculty and alumni who died of AIDS. There are also examples of brochures and information flyers. Box 2 has the quilt squares made for Davidson alumni and exhibit labels to go with them. The oversize folder contains posters of events sponsored by Student Health Services and the Health Advisors. There is an oral history interview with Scotty Nichols about the AIDS quilt squares she made for Davidson alumni (Audio 284).


  • Creation: 1988


Biographical / Historical

Davidson College hired its first college physician in 1886. Dr. Paul Barringer, a grandson of Robert Hall Morrison filled the position until 1891. Dr. J. P. Munroe succeeded him, not only as college physician but continued Barringer's work in establishing the North Carolina Medical College in Davidson. Dr. Munroe ceased being the college physican when the Medical College moved to Charlotte in 1907. Dr. John Wilson MacConnell became the third college physician in 1907and held the position until 1940. James J. Withers served as physician in 1918-1919 while MacConnell was serving in World War I. Subsequent physicians were, 1940-1942- William Matthews, 1942-1944 James B. Woods, 1944-1945 W. E. Selby, 1945-1969 James B.Woods, 1970-1973 William Davis and 1973-1975 Charles Marshall. The college had no separate infirmary until 1885 when rooms were set up in Elm Row. The infirmary moved to the North Carolina Medical School hospital in 1901. In 1937, the Preyer building was constructed as the new infirmary and served until 1992. Women serving as superintendent of the infirmary include May Williams (1902-1907, Alice Robson (1907-1937), Sara Day Johnston (1937-1953, 1963-1965), Dorothy Sherrill (1965-1989) and Dorothy Fleming (1989-1994). The Student Health Facility provides routine health care with th services of a full-time nursing staff and part-time professionals contracted through Davidson Clinic. A health educator and nutritionist are also available to meet with students on an appointment basis. The Student Counseling Center offers a broad range of counseling and psychological services. The staff also presents talks and workshops to student groups and staff on health education and issues. Jay Ostwalt served as the first director of the counseling center serving from 1954-1960). William W. Burley servedf rom 1960 to 1963) and William B. Hight 1963 to 1987. From 1987 to 1991, services of the Student Counseling Center were provided through contract services. In July of 1991, the center came under the director of the Student Counseling Center. In May 1992, the Student Counseling Center and Student Health were both moved to a new facilty and in Fall 1993, both were placed under a combined director position.


2.00 boxes_oversize (2 boxes + oversize)