Athletics Director. Records, 1894-
Scope and Contents
This collection consists administrative files including policy manuals, planning documents for Baker Sports Complex and printed materials published by the Athletics Office. There is some overlap with the publications of the Sports Information Office (RG 8/2) but the majority of the publications in the Athletic Director's records deal with summer camps or special events.
- Athletics Director (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
Organized athletics seems to have had its beginnings at Davidson in 1870, when two intramural baseball teams, the "Mecklenburgs" and the "Red Jackets" were organized by students. The first Athletic Directors were hired by the Athletic Association which was founded in 1893. In October of 1898, the College allowed students to compete in intercollegiate football contests. Soon after, both intramural and intercollegiate sports took off at Davidson. In 1914, the College agreed to take over the responsibilityof the position of Athletic Director. The Alumni Association was allowed to continue to pay the salaries of assistant coaches. The first Athletic Director hired by the college was Robert Fetzer, who was replaced by his brother William Fetzer in 1915. In 1932, athletics were subsumed under a new department of Student Health Services and Physical Education. In 1936, Norman Shepard was hired as the Director of Physical Education and Athletics. The title changed in 1981 to Director of Athletics. The office is responsible for managing the activities of all athletic teams, the physical education program, and the operations of the Baker Sports Complex. Additional materials about the history of athletics can be found in RG 5/10 - Athletic Foundation Records.
2.00 boxes_oversize (2 boxes + oversize)
- Language of description
- Script of description