Orchestra and Glee Club. Records, 1917-1928
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a ledger with financial accounts for the years 1917-1919, a newspaper clipping from the Atlanta Journal, a concert program for teh 1927-1928 season and a constitution.
- Orchestra and Glee Club (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Orchestra and Glee Club were student sponsored organizations. The first reference to a Glee Club at Davidson College occurred in 1868, when students requested permission of the faculty to use a room in the Chambers Building for rehearsing. By the 1890s the Glee Club and Orchestra were performing at Commencement and Senior Speaking Days and occasionally gave concerts in area towns. In 1923 the Board of Trustees authorized funds for hiring a director but the position was suspended in 1931. With the arrival of James C. Pfohl in 1933 the Glee Club, Orchestra and student band were reorganized.
4.00 folders (4 folders)
- Language of description
- Script of description