Phi Beta Kappa. Records, 1915-
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of copies of by-laws and proposed revisions, membership lists, correspondence concerning chapter meetings and the 50th anniversary celebration in 1973, and publicity materials. The collection also contains all programs printed and used between 1962 and 1994. Copies of Speeches made at Phi Beta Kappa meetings by Dr. O.C. Carmichael, Robert F. Davidson, Barnaby C. Keeney, W. Brown Patterson and Ralph W. Pfouts are also found here.
- Creation: 1915
- Phi Beta Kappa (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Gamma Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa was installed at Davidson College in 1923. The college first applied in 1916 for a charter in this fraternity known for honoring scholastic achievement. The Charter Members of the Chapter were Davidson College President William J. Martin; W. L. Porter, professor of Biology; Edwin F. Shewmake, Professor of English, and W.W. Wood, Professor of Applied Mathematics and Astronomy. The first students inducted were Robert F. Davidson, William A. Gamble, W. Gettys Guile, Dunbar H. Ogden, and Hugh H. Smith, all members of the class of 1923. For articles about Phi Beta Kappa, see the Davidsonian, March 9, 1923 and the Davidson College Bulletin, May 1958.
3.00 boxes, 1 bound volume boxes_oversize (3 boxes, 1 bound volume + oversize(?), bound version entitled Minutes and Roster Gamma of North Carolina Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa Davidson College 1922-1933; 2 boxes that contain the original signatures and the original materials from the 3 ring binder labeled Gamma of North Carolina Chapter Phi Beta Kappa; the original 3 ring binder containing copies of the materials stays with the chapter)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials donated by members of Phi Beta Kappa. Engraving of Wren Building, William and Mary donated by Malcolm Lester.
- Language of description
- Script of description