Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. Records, 1940-1962
Scope and Contents
The records consist of the original petition booklet; the charter certificate; correspondence, 1954-1969; membership rosters, 1954-1957; a pledge manual, 1961, programs from events sponsored by Phi Mu Alpha, 1940-1962,and printed material including copies from the national fraternity journal and news clippings. There also is information on the Interfraternity Sing from 1955-1959 that was sponsored by the fraternity. The correspondence includes letters written by Donald Plott during his term as Governor of Province 20.
- Creation: 1940
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Gamma Kappa Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha, Sinfonia Fraternity of America was established at Davidson College in 1940. Beta Gamma Phi, a local music honorary fraternity petitioned for the chapter. Beta Gamma Phi was organized in 1939 by the officers of the Symphonic Band, the Little Symphonic Orchestra, and the Glee Club. In the spring of 1940, the fraternity sought national affliation with Phi Mu Alpha. The first members were install on November 10, 1940. Phi Mu Alpha sponsored concerts, performances by visitings artists and interfraternity sings. The club went to inactive status in 1961 and ceased in 1964.
0.50 boxes_oversize (1/2 box (10 folders) + oversize)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from Music Department and accession 2004-48
- Language of description
- Script of description