Red and Black Masquers. Records, 1949-1969
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the original manuscript and typescript of the organization's 1949 constitution, minutes and correspondence from 1949 to 1954an correspondence, constitution and minutes, 1966-1969. Within the minutes and corresondence 1949-1954 are memos concerning the establishment of the Honorary Fraternity Council. There are examplesof letters written to incoming freshman about the Masquers and examples of initiation rites in both correspondence folders. The oversizxe folder has playbills for Gold in the Hills. Programs for Red and Black Masquers productions can be found in the Theatre Departments Records, RG 3/5.19.
- Red and Black Masquers (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Red and Black Masquers was an honorary theater fraternity established in 1929 by English professor Dr. E.J. Erwin. For a long time, the Red and Black Masquers was the only outlet for theater on campus, until Dr. William Goodykoontz formed a summer playhouse which eventually led to the formation of a theater department in 1963. The Red and Black Masquers ended in the 1950s. During the early 1960s another group, the Vagabonds, was formed as an extracurricular drama club. In 1966, Dr. Rupert Barber proposed the reconstituting of the Red and Black Masquers to encourage student interest in theatre..
3.00 folders_oversize (3 folders + oversize)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
additional records 2009-27
- Language of description
- Script of description