Skip to main content

Davidson College Presbyterian Church - Women of the Church Collection

 Collection
Identifier: DC023
The bulk of the collection consists of minutes and financial reports from 1880 to 1980, and 2005 to the present. The collection is organized as follows: 1) General; 2) Constitution; 3) Minutes; 4) Reports; 5) Financial; 6) Membership Book; 7) Annual "History of Presbyterian Women" Reports 8) Scrapbook. The general file contains information about the history of the group as well as lists of members of the church. The collection also contains a copy of the original constitution of the Ladies Benevolent Society. There are minutes from 1880-1980; however, the minutes of several years are missing. These discuss donations and contributions as well as the general acts of the group. There are also minutes from the executive board meetings from 1934-1947 and 1957 which discuss the more important proposals of the group. There are committee reports from 1925-1928 and 1949-1948. There are financial records dating from 1880 to 1971, containing lists of donations given to the group as well as expenses and financial contributions. There are treasurer's reports, budgets, and general receipts. There is also a membership book from 1925. . A speech giving the history of the organization and annual reports for 2005-2006, 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 have been added to the original collection of materials. Additional records include the records of the Secretary of Literature for 1931-1955 showing pamphlets and booklets ordered by the church, a ledger listing retired members on the inactive roll of the church up to 1960, a file of clippings and brochures related to church history, and a scrapbook for the years 1916-1977. The scrapbook contains a typescript "Early Davidson" written by Nora Thompson in 1976, the 1916-17 Yearbook of the Women's Auxiliary, a history of DCPC written by Lucy Curry, and newspaper articles on Rev. Curtis Harper (1962), William Cumming (1968), Mrs. Sam Spencer (1968), obituaries for Mrs. John C. Bailey, Jr., Dr. H. E. Fulcher, Mrs. Mattie B. Murphy and Mrs. Claude L. Ives, Jr. (1970), Jay Ostwalt (1970), Richard Burts (1970), Will Terry (1971), Mrs. Jay Ostwalt (1971), William Workman (1971, 1975), Frank L. Jackson (1971), James V. Lore (1971), Rev. John B. Rogers (1972), "Cop" Linker (1972), Mrs. William Cumming (1972), retiring professors Reid, Gallen and Causey (1972), Porter Halyburton (1973), Dr. James Wood (1973), Henry Lilly (1973), Dr. E.E. Brown (1973), Julia Maulden (1974, 1975), Alice Davidson Sims (1974), retiring professors Embry, Ghigo, Kimbrough (1974), college history (1974), obituaries for Marlin and Mebane (1974), Library dedication (1974), Shaw Smith (1975), Frontis Johnson (1975), Dr. Logan (1975), Christmas in the Village (1976), Holiday Homes tour (1976),and Myron McGill (1977).

Dates

  • 1880 - 1980
  • 2006

Extent

1.67 Linear Feet (4 boxes + oversize)

Biographical / Historical

In 1880, the ladies of the Davidson College Presbyterian Church felt it their duty to form a group to help spread the "words of Eternal Life." They formed the Ladies Benevolent Society. In 1885, the group changed its name to the Ladies Missionary Society, which was also called the Ladies Foreign Missionary Society. In 1913, the group became known as the Women's Missionary Society, also the Women's Home and Foreign Missionary Society. In 1920, they changed their name to the Women's Missionary Auxillary, which was shortened in 1921 to the Women's Auxillary. In 1948, the group changed its name to the Women of the Church. Regardless of its name, the group is a subset of the Davidson College Presbyterian Church and works with local and national women's organizations in Christian endeavors.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

98-088|2006-123 ( 2005-2006 history)|2007-086 (history)|2008-28 (history, scrapbooks)

Processing Information

Processed on 11/02/1994
Title
Davidson College Presbyterian Church - Women of the Church Collection

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections Repository