Skip to main content

Scofield Family Collection

Identifier: DC0190s

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of printed materials and photographs. The printed materials include invitations, newspaper clippings, a sketch of Stephen Charles "Skits" Scofield by Linwood Black and receipts. The photographs are of buildings in Davidson and of the Scofield family. See also DC0165s, the Mary Scofield Clifford Papers.


  • Creation: 1883-1962 and undated

Biographical / Historical

John N. Scofield was contracted by Davidson College to build Old Chambers in 1857. He moved his family to Davidson during the construction. The family left during the Civil War but his widow returned to Davidson in 1867 and ran a boardhouse for students. Her son Stephen Charles "Skits" Scofield (1847-1917) opened a store in Davidson and her daughters, Sadie Jane (1873-1956) and Minnie Knox (1878-1958) operated a tea-room.


3 folders (3 folders)



Processing Information

Processed on Sep-94

Scofield Family Collection
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections Repository