Davidson Civic Club Records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of correspondence, programs, histories, reports, memorials, a cookbook, and minutes. The correspondence (1911-1957) is primarily between the club and the Davidson town government. There is a copy of the 1941 by-laws, brief club histories, programs for 1914 and 1925, annual reports, memorials to deceased members, and newspaper clippings. The cookbook was printed around 1928. This copy contains handwritten annotations and recipes. The minutes are in two ledgers, 1940-1951 and 1952-1959.
- 1911 - 1959
Biographical / Historical
The Davidson Civic Club (Davidson, NC) was organized in 1911 with Cornelia Shaw as its first president. Its purpose was to promote "A well-kept household and a place for good and pleasant living" in Davidson, North Carolina. The Club raised money and solicited volunteers for such projects as the establishment and upkeep of a town library, beautification projects, and the naming of streets. It also donated money and effort towards "the colored section of our town," working with the YMCA and buying lots to build adequate housing. The Club changed its name to the Davidson Civic League in 1952, under the presidency of Mrs. W.M. Needler. The final meeting of the club was held on June 24, 1959.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The cookbook was given to the college by Sarah Jetton, July 2, 1990 and was originally cataloged for the D-room. It was removed from the D-Room and added to the manuscript collection in October 2000.
Processed on Nov-94
- Davidson Civic Club Records
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Manuscript Collections Repository