Twentieth Century Club Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists Minutes, 1927-1963; Correspondence, 1951; Membership and History files, 1942-1948 and undated; and Programs, 1929-1962. The minutes contain lists of members, copies of the constitution and by-laws, descriptions of programs and social events, and lists of books. The correspondence mostly concerns membership, while the membership and history files contain clippngs and a description of the 1946 Christmas party. The programs are the annual program booklets listing officers, members, and program topics.
- 1927 - 1963
Biographical / Historical
The Twentieth Century Club was organized in 1922 by Mrs. W. J. Martin as the Young Matrons Club. The club was for young Davidson College faculty wives and for the first year, the group met as a social sewing club. In 1923, they decided to expand the club and concentrated on book discussions. The original members included Mrs. Martin, Coline Thies, Helen Wagner, Ethel Currie, Helen Gray, Genevieve Weatherby, Rachel Ellis, Sue Forman, Ruth Hengevald, Gladys Potts, and Susan Goodrum. The name was changed to the Twentieth Century Club in 1927. They met every other Friday to exchange books and hear lectures by club members and guest speakers. Husbands of the members sponsored an annual Christmas dinner. The club was instrumental in the founding of the Davidson PTA but disbanded in 1964 due to low membership.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
donated by members of the club
Processed on 23-Jan-95
- Twentieth Century Club Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Manuscript Collections Repository