Catawba Springs Hotel Collection
Scope and Contents
The files contain the guest ledgers from 1838-1851 and 1852-1854. These ledgers contain the names, residences and destinations of the guests. Peter Stuart Ney's signature can be found in Volume I on September 20, 1841. The files also contain letters and poetry. There is a manuscript copy of the advertisement for Catawba Springs found in the South Carolina Gazette and Columbia Advertiser. There is a letter to Mr. Chalmers G. Davidson, dated August 16, 1949, from Robet F. Cope discussing the history of Catawba Springs. There are also several manuscripts and pieces of poetry written by a guest staying at the Catawba Springs Hotel in 1843. There is also an advertisement brochure for Catawba Springs in 1890. The files also contain several newspaper articles about the inn. These articles provide helpful information on the history of Catawba Springs Hotel. The files also contain a history of the inn as written by Dr. Chalmers Gaston Davidson. He titled this history as "Historical Notes and References to the Catawba Springs Hotel." This file also has several of Dr. Davidson's notecards used in writing the history.
- 1838 - 1949
Biographical / Historical
The Catawba Springs Hotel was located in Lincoln County, North Carolina, about twenty-four miles from Charlotte. As early as the 1790's, visitors were frequenting this popular mineral springs resort. Captain John Reid is the earliest known proprietor of Catawba Springs. He was an outstanding man in Lincoln County, a veteran of the Revolutionary War, a state legislator and an elder in the Unity Presbyterian church. Captain Reid died in January of 1821 at the age of sixty-five. On the death of Captian John Reid, "Catawba Springs" was put up for sale. An accurate description of the resort at the time of sale can be found in the South Carolina Gazette and Columbian Adverser (Columbia, South Carolina) of February 20, 1821. In 1825, Mr. Charles Jugnot took over Catawba Springs as proprietor. His proprietorship brought a period of great prosperity for the resort. Prominent visitors at this time included James Chestnuts of Camden, Dr. Elisha Mitchell of Chapel Hill, and Mr. and Mrs. Henry W. Connor. In 1835, the resort was sold once again, although its doors did not reopen until 1838. Joseph W. Hampton had purchased Catawba Springs and had "fitted it up at considerable expense and in a superior style." In the register book from the years of Mr. Hampton's proprietorship, the names that occurr frequently inlcuded the Grahams, Brevards, Guions, Ramsours, and Shipps from Lincoln; the Chambers and lockes from Rowan; and the Alexanders, Caldwells, Davidsons and Polks from Mecklenburg. Students from Davidson College also appear in the registrey. There were frequent guests also from Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Peter Stuart Ney set up an academy at the Catawba Springs in the early 1840's. His name appears in the guest book. In the column alloted to home addresses, Ney wrote next to his name "An atom floating on the atmostphere of chance." With the Civil War came an end to the prosperity of Catawba Springs. Its doors finally closed for good in the mid-1860's.
5 folders (5 folders)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Mrs. Joseph Graham Davidson of Rural Hill, North Carolina
Processed on 14-Nov-96
- Catawba Springs Hotel Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description