St. Alban's Episcopal Church Records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of minutes, financial reports, correspondence for the period 1956 to 1975 and newsletters for 1979-1987. The files are arranged chronologically. The 1956 file contains a copy of the petition to establish the mission. The 1980 and 1982 newsletter files also contain church directories for those years. The video produced by St. Alban's on their building campaign is housed in the video collection as Video #224.
- 1956 - 1987
Biographical / Historical
In December 1955, the Bishop of North Carolina approved a petition for the creation of an Episcopal Mission in Davidson to be known as St. Alban's. A report given in 1956 states that the principal reasons for establishing the mission are to serve the Episcopal students enrolled in Davidson College, to serve Episcopalians in the Davidson area and to permit the Church to be part of the Davidson community. Initially, the Rev. J. Bryan Griswold served as priest-in-charge for the three area Episcopal missions: St. Alban's, St. Matthew's and St. James. Griswold arranged for the St. Alban's services to be held in the Philanthropic Literary Society Hall on the Davidson campus. Shortly thereafter, a campaign began to build a chapel. The chapel which continues to serve the congregation was completed in 1961. From 1961 to 1994, St. Alban's was served by a number of clergy and lay ministers including: Albert Sidney Newton, C. Ward Courtney, William C. Morris, W. Brown Patterson, Karl Garrison, Merrill Miller, Thomas Droppers, and Robert Bird . The first full-time vicar, Rev. Gary Steber, was appointed in 1994. St. Alban's changed from mission to full parish status in February 1997.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box + artifact )
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to College Archives in 1980
Processed on Jan-97
- St. Alban's Episcopal Church Records
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Manuscript Collections Repository