Reeves Temple A.M.E. Zion Church Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a school report on the history of the church written by Alexis Smith, a member of the congregation. The Polaroids (folder 3), were taken for this report. The collection also contains a souvenir booklet from the Homecoming and Revival celebration held on September 26, 1993. This collection is divided into the report text, the report photos, and the souvenir booklet. There is also a video tape with Alexis Smith narrating church history and a second segment documenting a Kwanzaa ceremony.
- 1993 - 1994
Biographical / Historical
Reeve's Temple began its existence in the later 1800s as an outgrowth of the Torrence Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church. The first church was an old frame building located on Eden Street in Davidson. This structure was rebuilt in 1922 using brick from the ruins of Old Chambers. In 1965,the congregation began a fundraising campaign in order to purchase a new sanctuary. On Easter Sunday 1966, the congregation marched from the old sanctuary, and following a short ceremony dedicated the New Reeve's Temple A.M.E. Zion Church building on Watson Street.
3 folders (3 folders)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Alexis Smith, a member of the congregation
Processed on Jul-98
- Reeves Temple A.M.E. Zion Church Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description