Skip to main content

Library. Reports, Annual and Monthly , 1907

 Sub-Group
Identifier: RG14-03

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of annual reports prepared by the library director for the college president, academic dean and occasionally the North Carolina Library Commission. The earliest reports provide financial summaries of library accounts and expenses and brief statistics on circulation, book repairs and new acquisitions. Beginning with the 1936-37 report, more details with narratives are included. As library departments grew, the reports begin to include departmental reports as well as a general summary and detailed statistics.

Dates

  • 1907

Creator

Biographical / Historical

Efforts to establish and maintain a library for the use of faculty and students date from the founding of the College. Beginning with a small collection of donated books housed in the Chapel, the library expanded and moved to the Chambers Building in 1860. The two student literary societies also developed libraries. In 1887, the Union Library was created by the combining of the student libraries and the college library. The college library grew from a small collection managed by faculty and open only a few hours a week into a full-service facility. The library has been housed in four locations: 1) The Chambers Building, 1887-1910, 2) Carnegie Library, 1910-1944, 3) Grey Library, 1944-1974, E. H.Little Library, 1974 - . The first professional librarian was hired in 1907. In 2007, the library had a staff of 26.

Extent

2.00 boxes (2 boxes)

Language

English

Physical Location

B7.2 B7.3

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the College Archives Repository