Davidson Athletic Fund (Athletic Foundation). Records, 1922-
Scope and Contents
The files contain a description of the members of the Board of Directors of the Athletic Foundation and information on the Athletic Hall of Fame. The ledger from 1922-26 lists the names of persons who recieved complimentary tickets to various athletic events and the list of all expenses of the athletic teams for those years. The ledgers or account books from 1933-1940 list the salaries of the athletic coaches; athletic travel expenses; equipment expenses of the football, basketball, track, wrestling, golf, baseball and tennis teams; the cost of medical supplies and medical attention for athletes; and, the cost of advertising, posters and letters produced by the Athletic Association at the time. On page 28-29 of the ledgers from 1936-39 are listed the various football games played at various colleges across the state and the expense of each game. The minutes of the Alumni Athletic Council from 1931-1939 discuss possible names of team coaches for those years and the individual salaries of the coaches. The 1913 correspondence has a petition to the Board of Trustees asking that the college pay for a full-time athletic director. The minutes of the Athletic Association from 1915-1927 are very in-depth. They contain reports from athletic team managers; the nominations of various team coaches; approval of intercollegiate games; discussion as to the size, shape and color of the letter D" worn by athletes; selection of students who would be awarded the letter "D;" and a discussion of cheerleading and how a student was nominated to become a cheerleader (see page 72). The files on the Wildcat Club contain copies of publications produced by and for the Club from 1950 to 1991. There is a file on the 115 Club of the Wildcat Club. In addition, there is a copy of the Club's statement of purpose and a copy of a letter given to all members regarding the standards of the NCAA when it comes to recruiting athletes for college sports. There are also 5 scrapbooks of newsclippings on basketball for the years 1962-1965 and posters."
- Creation: 1922
- Davidson Athletic Fund (Athletic Foundation) (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
In 1893, the students organized the Davidson College Athletic Association. With the help of annual student dues, this organization financed all of Davidson's athletic teams. By 1905, every student was a member of the Athletic Association and had to pay $5.00 a year for which they received free admission to all athletic events. During these early years, the students had complete control over the finances of the athletic teams and were responsible for hiring their own coaches. In 1914, the students relinquished control of athletics to the Alumni Athletic Association. This association was organized by a group of alumni who were eager for Davidson to have stronger teams and better coaches. In 1915, however, the faculty gained control of athletics by forming the Athletic Council which was composed of 4 faculty members and 3 alumni representatives. During the 1920's the members of the Athletic Council were responsible for overseeing the finances of the athletic teams and for selecting coaches. By the 1930's, the control of athletics had become a three-fold operation. The overall Athletic Association consisted of a student athletic council, an alumni athletic council, and the faculty athletic committee. The Faculty were responsible for obtaining the head coaches, the alumni selected assistant coaches, and the student financed the teams. In 1940, the trustees disbanded the three-fold Athletic Association and gave complete control to the faculty and administration of the college. This proceeded unchecked until June 1950 when the trustees then set up an Athletic Council. This council was primarily controlled by alumni as it was composed of 3 trustees, 2 alumni, 2 faculty members and 1 student. In the same meeting, the trustees established the Wildcat Club. This club was established to promote the athletic program of the College" and operated alongside the Alumni Fund. It was responsible for raising money for athletic scholarships. President Cunningham was not pleased with these new actions. In response, the trustees made the Athletic Council purely advisory in nature on May 28, 1954 and control of athletics was given back over to the president and the faculty. The Wildcat Club, however, continued to raise money for the athletic program. In 1956, however, the trustees decided to bring the fund-raising efforts of the Wildcat Club to an end and instead, 35% of the Alumni Living Endowment was given toward athletic scholarships. The Wildcat Club continued to exist, but it no longer was responsible for raising money. In 1967-68, the fund-raising efforts of the Wildcat Club were reorganized through the creation of the Wildcat Athletic Fund. By 1971, this fund-raising organization was known as the Athletic Fund. The fund-raising efforts continue through the present-day Wildcat Athletic Foundation. The program name was changed to the Davidson Athletic Fund in 2013."
3.00 boxes_oversize (3 boxes + oversize)
The files are arranged in alphabetical order. Information specifically related to the Wildcat Club is located after that title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
2008-035 - 1905 constitution|2014-045
- Language of description
- Script of description