Skip to main content

Cornelius (N.C.) Collection

 Collection
Identifier: DC018

Scope and Contents

The collection contains ordinances enacted in the town of Cornelius and a contracts with the town to build sidewalks. There is correspondence between Chase National Bank and the town treasury, most of which is acknowledgement of funds received. There are treasury records from 1905-1909 in both handwritten and typescript copies. There are a few checks written by the town treasury, and receipts for funds received. There are water bonds, street bonds, and electric light bonds and bond coupons. There is also a map of the area of Cornelius.

Dates

  • 1905 - 1935

Biographical / Historical

The town of Cornelius, North Carolina was incorporated in 1905. Originally called Liverpool, the name was changed to honor Joe Cornelius, a principal stockholder in a local cotton mill. The cotton mill was established by R.J. Stough and G.W. Johnson in northern Mecklenburg County.

Extent

0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of the Town of Cornelius

Processing Information

Processed on 10/25/1994
Title
Cornelius (N.C.) Collection
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections Repository