President. Rev. Walter Lee Lingle. Records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists primarily of correspondence, both incoming and outgoing, dealing with the administration of Davidson College and its relationship the Presbyterian Church of the US. The collection also includes copies of reports from committees and departments. Specific topics relating to the college in the files include the athletic program, the Alumni Association, the Duke Endowment, changes in curriculum, chapel programs, student health services, architects and buildings, the colleges Centennial celebration, dancing, the library, the National Youth Administration, radio programs produced by the college, the YMCA, the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, and Rhodes Scholarships. There are reports and letters concerning the Registrar, the Economics Department, the Music Department, practice teaching, and the pre-medical program as well as correspondence with individual faculty. Faculty represented in the files include A.V. Goldiere, W. G. McGavock, Thomas Logan, Chalmers Davidson,J.T. McGeachy, James Pfohl, and Lewis Schenck. There are also files relating to Davidson High School, the Presbyterian Orphan's Home in Barium Springs, NC, the Liberal Arts Movement, and the General Education Board of the Presbyterian Church.
- 1930 - 1941
- President. Lingle (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
Walter Lee Lingle, 1868-1956, was graduated from Davidson College in 1892. He then attended Union Theological Seminary, graduating in 1896. He taught Hebrew and Greek at the Seminary for two years before accepting a call as a minister. Lingle served three churches before returning to Union as as professor. In 1902 he was elected to the Davidson College Board of Trustees. He served as president of the Board from 1906-1929. He remained active in the Presbyterian church, serving as Moderator of the General Assembly in 1920. From 1924 to 1929 he was also president of the Presbyterian General Assembly's Training School in Richmond, Virginia. In 1929, he became president of Davidson College, succeeding William J. Martin. He served as president until 1941. During his tenure as president, he oversaw the improvement of the college's physical plant including the building of Duke Dormitory, the college infirmary, a new library, new roads, and athletic fields.
5.00 boxes (5 boxes + oversize in Mapstand B-1)
The collection is organized into a single series arranged alphabetically by subject.
Range A Section 3
- Language of description
- Script of description